Detail of China

China is a populous nation in East Asia whose vast landscape encompasses grassland, desert, mountains, lakes, rivers and more than 14,000km of coastline. Capital Beijing mixes modern architecture with historic sites such as the Forbidden City palace complex and Tiananmen Square. Shanghai is a skyscraper-studded global financial center. The iconic Great Wall of China runs east-west across the country's north.

Country Name: China

Government: Unitary one-party socialist republic
Independence: October 1, 1949
President: Xi Jinping
Prime Minister:
Capital City: Beijing
Land Area: 9.597 million km⊃2;
Population: 1.379 billion (2016)
Ethnic Group:

  • 91.51% Han
  • 55 minorities
  • 1.30% Zhuang
  • 0.86% Man (Manchu)
  • 0.79% Uygur (Uyghur)
  • 0.79% Hui
  • 0.72% Miao
  • 0.65% Yi
  • 0.62% Tujia
  • 0.47% Mongol
  • 0.44% Zang (Tibetan)
  • 0.26% Buyei
  • 0.15% Chosen (Korean)
  • 1.05% others

Major Religion: Confucianism, Taoism, Chinese Buddhism) / irreligious
Official Language: Standard Chinese
Major Language:  Standard Chinese
Currency: Renminbi (yuan; ¥)(CNY)
Local Time: China Standard Time (UTC+8)
Telephone Code: +86
GDP: GDP (nominal) 2018 estimate
• Total $14.092 trillion
• Per capita $10,087
Bank: People's Bank of China
Exchange Rate with BD Currency: 13.02 BDT
Why Study in China
5 Reasons to Study in China
1. Travel and Exploration
2. Its Affordable
3. Employment Advantage
4. Quality of Education and International Recognition
5. Experiencing the Culture Firsthand
Education System:

Primary Education

In China, primary school education is compulsory and it lasts 6 years. Children start schools at age six (seven in some areas). The language of instruction is Mandarin Chinese with the exception of the primary schools that mainly admit ethnic minority students. A typical school year is comprised of two semesters and runs from the month of September to July. Students attend classes five days a week and primary school education currently includes nine compulsory courses, which include Chinese, Mathematics, Social Studies, Nature, Physical Education, Ideology and Morality, Music, Fine Art, and Labor Studies. Foreign Language is normally offered as an elective course. In order to graduate, all students are required to pass graduation examinations in the subjects of Chinese and Mathematics. The examinations are normally designed and administered by schools with guidance from local educational authorities. Students move on to 3-year junior (lower) secondary schools (chuzhong 初中) after graduating from primary schools. 

Middle Education

Junior (lower) secondary education lasts three years following the completion of primary school. In order for students to obtain a certificate of graduation, students are required to pass graduation examinations and meet minimum physical education standards. The graduation examinations are designed and administered by individual schools according to guidelines set by the provincial educational bureaus or by local educational authorities. Students are typically examined in the following subjects for graduation: Chinese, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Foreign Language, and Politics. Completion of junior (lower) secondary education also marks the end of a 9-year (6+3) compulsory education program. 

Secondary Education

After the completion of junior (lower) secondary school, students can choose to enter either general (academic) senior secondary school or vocational senior secondary school. General (academic) senior secondary school lasts 3 years and vocational senior secondary school lasts 3 or 4 years. Senior secondary school is known as (gaozhong 高中) and vocational senior secondary school is known as (zhongzhuan 中专) in China. Students wishing to continue their study in the general (academic) track must pass the entrance examinations for general senior secondary schools, which is also known as (zhongkao 中考) in China. Designed and administered by provincial educational authorities, the entrance examination includes the same subjects as the junior secondary graduation examination. At the end of their final school year, graduates of senior secondary schools seeking admission to post-secondary education are required to take the National Higher Education Entrance Examination, also called National College Entrance Examination (NCEE), commonly known as (gaokao 高考) in China.

Vocational Education

Vocational education programs are offered at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. Vocational senior secondary schools provide subject and occupation specific education and training. Vocational senior secondary education is highly employment oriented and graduates normally enter the workforce. However, it does offer some access to further education, particularly in the technical/vocational specialties. Since the year 2000, the Ministry of Education (MOE) has allowed graduates of vocational secondary schools to take the NCEE and be admitted into higher education programs. 
Higher technical/vocational education is available at the zhuanke (专科) level, which require two or three years of full-time post-secondary study. It is possible for graduates of higher vocational education programs at the zhuanke level to obtain a "benke 本科" degree (Bachelor’s degree) certificate through an upgrading program, but in a limited number of fields. Vocational higher education institutions are currently administered at the provincial level. 

Tertiary Education

Higher education is provided by institutions of various types including general and technical universities, specialized institutions, professional universities, military institutions, medical schools and colleges, independent colleges, and adult higher education institutions of various types. Entry to university depends primarily on how well the students perform in the entrance examinations. Students with outstanding academic performance in their secondary schools can also possibly be granted an exemption from the entrance examination and be recommended directly to the university of their choice through a method called (baosong 保送). In addition, some private institutions are exempted from the NCEE (gaokao) and accept all students who can afford the tuition fees. Prestigious universities (key institutions) maintain higher admission standards, and therefore require higher NCEE (gaokao) scores than other institutions. Entry to higher education in China is highly competitive.

Top Universities:

  • Tsinghua University
  • Peking University
  • Fudan University
  • University of Science and Technology of China
  • Zhejiang University
  • Shanghai Jiao Tong University
  • Nanjing University
  • Wuhan University
  • Sun Yat-sen University
  • Harbin Institute of Technology
  • Cost of Education& Living:

Job Prospects:


PR Prospects:
Admission Requirements:

Requirements of China's Universities

In accordance with different levels of degree, Chinese universities have different requirements for all enrollees. Before applying, you must carefully review these requirements.
Usually, non-degree language and culture programs have minimum requirements; as long as you have obtained a high school diploma, you can apply for admission.
Chinese-medium degree courses (i.e. degree courses taught in Mandarin Chinese) require the applicant to provide HSK examination results to prove their Chinese language proficiency. Applicants for master's degrees also need to provide a copy of transcripts and recommendation letters.
English-medium courses do not require HSK exam results. Instead, applicants for English-medium courses should provide recognized English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. (English native speakers or those who hold an academic degree taught in English need not provide test scores).

More and more universities are starting to offer international programs taught in English. These programs will no longer require HSK examination results and are suitable for international applicants.

Visa Requirements:
Student Visa is divided into X1 and X2. X1 is issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies, or fieldwork for more than 6 months. X2 is issued to aliens who come to China with same purpose but for a period of less than 6 months.

The organization must be accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners.  They will send you a JW201 or JW202 form and an admission letter.  Submit these with photocopies with your application. 

You are not permitted to work on the X type visa. But part-time work and internships off campus may be authorized in near future. You should contact you university or employer after you have settled in to see what can be arranged.  For foreign students who work in violation of the regulations on the administration of foreign students working to support their study in China and work beyond the prescribed scope of jobs or prescribed time limit, they shall be deemed unlawful employment and will probably have to stop or be expelled. 

X1 holders shall apply for a Temporary Residence Permit from the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 30 days upon entry into China. The temporary residence permit can be issued with validity of 180 days to 5 years.  X2 holders shall stay in China within the duration period as indicated on the visa, and it is not necessary for them to apply for the temporary residence permit.


1. Applicant's original passport valid up to at least six months with at least one blank page.
2. One accurately and truthfully completed Application Form.  
3. Please affix one recent passport style color photo with full face, front view, no hat, and against a plain light background on the application form.
4. Original and a copy of approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form JW201 or JW202 (for X1 appliction only). 
5. Original and a copy of Admission Notice from the university or Chinese school. Note: for foreigners who want to apply for Chinese Medical Internship, the original and a copy of Application Form for Medical Internship and Admission Notice for training in practice issued by the university are required.

How to Apply

1. You may submit the application to the consular office of the Chinese Embassies or Consulates in person.
2. Or you can entrust someone else (e.g. friends, relatives), a travel agency or a visa agency to act on your behalf if you can't come personally. Power of attorney is not required.
3. Mailed applications are not accepted and will be refused by most of Chinese embassies or consulates.
4. Appointment is not required by most embassies and consulates. But if you are required to submit application to CVASC, you may need to make an online appointment via CVASC's website.

Processing Time

The regular processing time is 4 working days. If you want to collect your visa earlier, the express service and rush service are available. Express Service: 2-3 working days processing; extra US$ 20 will be charged. Rush Service (for emergencies): 1 working day processing; extra US$ 30 will be charged. 

Visa Fees

The fee for X is same to the fee for other types of Chinese visa. Generally speaking, Chinese embassies or consulates only issue single entry X to foreigners. If you apply for it in the United States of America, the fee is US$140 for American citizens, US$30 for other citizens.