Detail of Netherlands

The Netherlands, a country in northwestern Europe, is known for a flat landscape of canals, tulip fields, windmills and cycling routes. Amsterdam, the capital, is home to the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and the house where Jewish diarist Anne Frank hid during WWII. Canalside mansions and a trove of works from artists including Rembrandt and Vermeer remain from the city's 17th-century "Golden Age."

Country Name: Netherlands

Government: Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy
Independence: January 30, 1648
Prime Minister:  Mark Rutte (VVD)
Capital City:  Amsterdam
Land Area: 41,543 km⊃2;
Population: 17.02 million (2016)
Ethnic Group:
77.39% Dutch
9.88% Europeans
2.34% Turks
2.29% Moroccans
2.13% Indonesians
2.05% Surinamese

Admission Requirements:

 Required application documents
  • A copy of passport or ID card
  • A passport picture
  • A personal statement in English (should contain around 500-800 words answering questions such as: Why and what would you like to study at the university? What are your plans after graduation?)
  • Copies of obtained secondary school diplomas, certificates and/or grade lists (uploaded diplomas and/or grade lists which are not in English, French, German or Dutch need to be accompanied by an official English translation)
  • Transcript of records
  • Proof of English/Dutch language proficiency
  • Proof of payment of application fee (50 EUR)

Some universities may require additional documents, such as:

  • CV or resume (including two referees)
  • Motivation letter
  • Sample of academic written work

Visa Requirements:

Find out what type of visa you need to study in the Netherlands

For both short study (up to three months) or long study purposes (over three months) you will need Provisional Residence Permit (MVV) – an entry visa (or provisional residence permit).
If you plan to stay in the Netherlands more than three months, additional to your entry visa, you will also have to apply for Residence Permit (VVR) – an ID card that stands as a study visa.

When and where to apply for the study visa
  • You can apply for a study visa at a Netherlands embassy or consulate in your home country.
  • The university can also apply for the MVV and VVR on your behalf through the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).
  • You can collect the MVV in up to three months.
  • The processing time for your visa application usually lasts one month.
Important details about the residence permit

If during your studies you decide to change your course and start a new one, the number of years you've already studied will be deducted from the maximum duration of the new course.
Before the expiration day of your permit, you can apply for an extension of your stay for the rest of your programme of study.
In some cases, the residence permit can be withdrawn if, for example, you do not maintain sufficient progress in regards to your academic performance (at least 50 percent of the required credits each academic year).
The university will be required to inform the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) if you discontinue your studies, terminate your registration as a student of the university, or if you no longer have sufficient funds to cover your living costs. This may result in the IND cancelling your visa/residence permit.

Language requirements for my study in Netherlands

A minimum level of the English language proficiency is required before you can study at any degree level in Netherlands, not only for the English-taught programmes but sometimes for those taught in Dutch as well.
The main accepted English tests are:

Required application documents for the Netherlands study visa:
  • Completed Visa application form
  • Valid passport
  • Two photographs
  • Birth certificate
  • Academic transcripts
  • Official letter from the institution of study in Netherlands
  • Complete study plan – explain why you are interested in studying the chosen subject area and how and why it is related to your prior studies
  • Financial proof for the entire period of study (around 870 EUR/month)
  • Travel and health insurance
  • Visa application fee (317 EUR)
  • Photocopies of all the original documents
  • Tuberculosis test (required for citizens from some countries)
  • Photocopies of all the original documents
  • Biometric information
Specific details regarding the Dutch student visa for Chinese students

Students coming from The People's Republic of China have to get a Nuffic Certificate to be eligible for a Dutch entry visa and enrol in an English-taught study programme. This does not also apply to nationals from Hong Kong (SAR), Macau (SAR) and Taiwan (ROC).
The Nuffic Certificate ensures that Chinese university applicants are qualified to pursue their studies in Netherlands and also acknowledges their English proficiency and the authenticity of their educational degrees and diplomas.